streams

streams

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Seeds and Yeast

"How can I picture God's kingdom for you? What kind of story can I use?
It's like a pine nut that a man plants in his front yard. It grows into a huge pine tree with thick branches, and eagles build nests in it." He tried again. "How can I picture God's kingdom? It's like yeast that a woman works into enough dough for three loaves of bread - and waits while the dough rises." (Luke 13:18-21 MSG)

I plant wheat grain for wheat grass. The first sprouts appear within days. In one week, I have a bed of brilliant green grass that is ready for juicing. I also plant cilantro seeds. I wait for weeks--watering, watching, wondering. I am tempted to give up on these seeds, because they show no signs of growth.
But eventually, they too grow, given enough water and light.

I like making quick breads with baking soda. I rarely make yeast breads. It takes too long to work the yeast in and wait for the bread to rise. There are too many variables. If the yeast is not fresh, or if the temperature is not right, the bread may not be ready when I need it. I like things to be predictable and uncomplicated.

God’s influence may be imperceptible at first, but, over time, it can grow exponentially. It can be far reaching and all encompassing. Yet, it isn’t predictable. Our role is to plant the seeds, to work in the yeast, to initiate the process, and to provide favorable conditions for growth.  We have very little control over the outcome or timing. We leave that up to God, trusting, waiting, watching, hoping…

No comments:

Post a Comment