streams

streams

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Cross-training

“Although my spirit is weak within me, You know my way.” (Psalm 142:3 HCSB)

My exercise regimen consists of running and cross-training--flexibility, balance, and resistance exercises. I am a lot more focused on my cardiac fitness than anything else. Cross-training is done half-heartedly. Why? It’s not that either type of exercise is pleasurable, but running long distances allows me to feel a sense of accomplishment. Thus, I am more eager to spend time and energy on it, because it makes me feel good about myself.

The temptation to seek gratification and affirmation is inherent in most human beings. Many of us are addicted to sensory pleasures and external validation. The lure of wanting to feel good about ourselves is a subtle craving. Sensuality, in any form, smothers spirituality. We wander through our lives--attempting to avoid pain, seeking diversions, indulging our superfluous desires--hoping that we will find peace, contentment, and purpose as byproducts.  Peace is found on a different plain than pleasure.

The cross represents death to worldly values and resurrection on to a higher plain. Spiritual discipline allows us to relinquish our earthly priorities and pursue God wholeheartedly. This form of cross-training involves spending time and energy on things that cannot be measured or admired by others. Our weak spirit is strengthened through devotion. Eventually, this empowers us to detach from this valley of pain and pleasure and ascend to a new heights of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment