streams

streams

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Lessons from Recovery

“Before a downfall the heart is haughty, but humility comes before honor.” (Proverbs 18:12 NIV)

For the last few weeks, I have been recovering from a back sprain. My movements have been restricted, preventing me from doing a lot of the things I usually do. It only took a few days of disability before I succumbed to discouragement. The experience has been humbling.

I had not realized how much of my identity was wrapped up in being physically active and productive. I recognized all that I took for granted: the ability to move quickly and efficiently, medical care, health insurance, flexible schedule, a kind and helpful spouse, a grown son who is capable of caring for himself. Before the injury, I thought of running as a chore, but now I see it as a privilege. When people said they couldn’t run, I used to think it was simply a lack of willpower. Now, I recognize how my attitude was inflated by pride.

Most people would rather be confident than insecure. Pride often disguises itself as self-assurance, which seems like a good thing at first glance. However, it insidiously infiltrates our perspective--diminishing empathy and understanding while feeding judgmentalism. It blunts gratefulness and chokes out humility. Worst of all, pride makes us imagine that we are self-sufficient, blinding us to the fact that we are sustained only by God’s grace.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have had quite the "aha" moment. It took me being in a wheelchair due to not being able to walk from the intense pain of a herniated disc that I finally got it that God was teaching me what to be grateful for by taking away what I always too for grated.
    I known since that time it isn't my plan but things happen to teach me not punish me.

    ReplyDelete