streams

streams

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Three

“A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.” (Ecclesiastes 4:12 NLT)

Three is my favorite number. It’s not too small, nor too big--but just right. It feels whole and balanced. My house numbers and phone numbers have always had the number 3 in it. I have one child, which makes us a family of three. So, I buy everything in sets of three.  

I tend to cultivate friendships in groups of threes too. One reliable friend is a gift; two are a blessing. The relationship feels less pressured since you have more than one person to lean on. When we intertwine our lives with others--sharing our fears and sorrows, praying through barriers, and rejoicing at every turning point--we are not easily broken. I am grateful for those who braid their lives with mine and make it stronger.

Incidentally, there is a special reason that I’ve been thinking of my favorite number.

Thirty years ago today, a young man showed up with three red roses for our first date. Three years later, I carried a bouquet with three roses as I married him. We’ve stood back-to-back and conquered many battles since then. Yet, we could not have held our bond together if it were not for God, who braided His love into our relationship. Through His grace, we have learned to be patient, kind, selfless, noncompetitive, forgiving, truthful, and respectful. I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment