streams

streams

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Prehab

“Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns.” (Philippians 4:6 MSG)

Most of my worries are of the ‘what if’ variety: What if such-and-such bad thing happens? What will I do? I rarely think of positive scenarios like: What if everything works out perfectly? I wouldn’t want my dreams to come true, because mostly I just have nightmares about car accidents, or people suffering.

Recently I had an injury that sidelined me for several weeks. During my recovery, I learned a new term: Prehab. Prehab exercises strengthen weaknesses, correct compensation patterns, and reduce the risk of future injuries. Prehab is proactive, as opposed to rehab, which is reactive.

I wonder if I could use the concept of ‘prehab’ against my anxiety. Could I proactively strengthen this weak area before it causes me to fall apart? What if I shape my worries into prayer and praise, letting God know my concerns as soon as they arise?

“Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.” (Philippians 4:7 MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment