streams

streams

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Internal Weakness

"Hard trials and temptations are bound to come, but too bad for whoever brings them on!” (Luke 17:1 MSG)
What was the last trial or temptation you faced? Did you bring it on?


My most recent trial was a back injury. I sprained my back while getting dressed. It seemed like a freak accident at the time. However, during physical therapy, I discovered I had a weak iliopsoas muscle. This minor muscle is surrounded by larger muscles that can be easily utilized to make up for any debility. I had unwittingly brought this injury on because I was unaware of the internal weakness.  For the last two weeks, I have been focusing on exercising my iliopsoas. This has not been fun. The movements are slight, but they hurt. Now that I am fairly functional, I am tempted to ignore these exercises and go back to my usual way of doing things.


Adversity can be caused by external events or internal frailty. Some of us stumble because of a lack of awareness; others just refuse to confront their weaknesses. It is easier to compensate for our deficiencies by drawing on our strengths. Although this might be convenient in the short run, it eventually brings on more trouble. In order to build character, we must address our flaws and work through them. This process can be painful. The movements can be awkward.  It is tempting to give up and go back to our default habits which make us feel good about ourselves.

Self-reliance instead of God-reliance is the root of most sin. Confront your weakness. Take it to God. Lean on Him. Ask Him to show you therapeutic ways to strengthen your shortcomings. Follow His instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment