streams

streams

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

A Double-Edged Sword

“For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12 NIV)

Years ago, I bought a set of knives for my kitchen. One of the knives is double-sided. I’m not sure how to use it properly, so I just put it away in the back of a drawer. I recently saw a similar knife online; supposedly, it is used to cut frozen foods. 

For years, I never read the Bible. I always had one in the house, somewhere on a bookshelf. I wasn’t sure what to do with it. I heard the Bible being read at church before sermons. I was familiar with a lot of the stories and parables. I figured that was enough for a layperson such as myself. Plus, there were so many other new books to read. Things changed as I grew older. For the last few decades, I’ve spent more time studying the Bible than any other book. At first, the Bible seemed like an archaic, history book--dry and irrelevant. However, after twenty years of study, I still find fresh nuggets of insight from it every day. 

The Word of God is always alive and active, full of supernatural wisdom, encouragement, and comfort. It gives us new perspectives and transforms our attitudes. It enables us to communicate with God. We can hear God’s Spirit speaking through the Bible; we can use the verses to shape our prayers and meditations. However, Scripture can also be a double-edged sword. It can bring discernment as well as conviction. As it penetrates deep into our conscience, it separates truth from delusion. There are no dull sides to the Word. It cuts through the tough, superficial exterior we present to the world, laying bare our inner spirit to the healing power of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment