streams

streams

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Immersed in the Spirit

“For in him we live and move and exist.”  (Acts 17:28 NLT)

Like many students, I took Spanish classes during high school. Yet, I am not able to communicate in Spanish. A friend of mine told me about Spanish immersion programs in Mexico. Here, you live with a host family where you have no choice but to listen and speak Spanish. You work, play, eat, sleep, and socialize around native speakers. You are immersed in the culture and language 24/7. This helps you to get beyond the theoretical knowledge in your head to actually practicing your language skills.

What if we were part of a Spiritual immersion program that was designed in a similar manner? Surrounded by a culture of faith, our thoughts and words would align with God’s purpose. Our days would be soaked in scripture and  permeated in prayer. Our work and social interactions would continue, but everything would be infused with the Holy Spirit. We would be aware  of our absolute need for God--how we couldn’t live, breathe, speak, move, or exist without Him.

This is the air I breathe
Your holy presence living in me
This is my daily bread
Your very word spoken to me
And I... I'm desperate for you
And I... I'm lost without you
(Lyrics by Michael W. Smith)

No comments:

Post a Comment