streams

streams

Friday, January 19, 2018

Trusting God with the Little Things

"But blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him.” (Jeremiah 17:7 NIV)

Before starting on major trips and projects, I usually pray. I ask God for guidance, protection, and blessing. However, I rarely bother Him with minor things. I am confident that I can manage these on my own. I mostly rely on God in areas where I don’t feel competent.

My husband and I usually talk to each other about all the things that happen each day. I enjoy hearing what he had for lunch and the interactions he had with others at work. I am eager to tell him about my day, too. I don’t just discuss what happened or what I want in the future; I also express my emotions, ask questions, and listen to his opinions.  Intimacy is built on sharing everything--major concerns, minor incidents, and everything in between.

I want an intimate relationship with Jesus. This means sharing everything, even if I think it’s minutia. Before I speak, it would be beneficial to ask God to shape my words. Before I make small decisions about my daily life--what to prepare for dinner, if I should make a purchase, and what chores to do--I could consult Jesus. Even things that I think I can manage on my own can be made better by involving the Lord. However, the motivation is not merely to seek God’s input, but to express my love. As I share the little details of my life, I grow closer to Him; I acknowledge my dependence on Him; I honor Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment