streams

streams

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Clean Slate

“So get rid of your old self, which made you live as you used to - the old self that was being destroyed by its deceitful desires. Your hearts and minds must be made completely new, and you must put on the new self, which is created in God's likeness and reveals itself in the true life that is upright and holy.” (Ephesians 4:22-23 GNT)

I’ve had the same whiteboard hanging in my kitchen for over a decade. This is where I write down daily to-do lists, seasonal chores, and reminders. For the last few years, I have not been able to get old markings wiped off. I tried many different cleaners, but the board remained stained by years of use. Then I found a cleaning tip online: use toothpaste on a paper towel to clean old marker stains. My whiteboard is now as good as new.

This reminds me of something my friend, Jen, said: Prayer is erasing our agenda and desires, so that we can wait for God to write out His plans for our lives.

My prayers are more like my unclean whiteboard--full of previous markings, personal agendas, and unanswered requests. It retains the stains of my sinful self. Jen’s insight on prayer has inspired me. I am trying to erase my expectations completely and wait for God’s directions. I want my life to be a clean slate.

Lord, help me to erase the sinful desires and deceptive thoughts from my mind. Renew Your Spirit within me. May everything I say and do reveal Your righteousness, truth, and holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment