streams

streams

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Sacramental Living

“A tabernacle was set up. In its first room were the lampstand and the table with its consecrated bread; this was called the Holy Place.” (Hebrews 9:2 NIV)

I have been trying to be more mindful in everything I do, inviting God into every task and decision. I have learned to talk to God as I go about my chores. Certain jobs are more conducive to contemplation than others. For example, it’s much easier to pray while baking bread than while doing taxes.

These days, I look for activities that enable my mind to focus on God with minimal distractions. If I am doing a silent activity such as cooking, I remember how Jesus blessed the bread and gave it to His disciples. Food is an integral part of communion, whether it happens in a church or in your home. If I am cleaning, I pray for cleansing, healing, and restoration for myself and others. If I am driving, I use that time to hand over control of the things I try to manage on my own. When I am having a conversation, I ask God to help me understand and speak truth. 

When my mind wanders, (which happens frequently), I pull it back. I use worship music, scripture verses, or audio sermons to keep my thoughts focused on the Lord. Visualization, talking or singing out loud, rhythmic movement, art, writing, crocheting, rosary beads, all aid me to stay attentive. Everything can be holy when it is consecrated to the Lord. God is present. It is up to us to acknowledge Him, to honor Him, and to live sacramentally. Wisdom, forgiveness, empathy, healing, and love flow freely when we collaborate with the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment