streams

streams

Monday, December 17, 2018

Advent

“Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!" (Luke 1:45 NLT)

I had to remain on bed rest for the last few months of my pregnancy, due to some complications. I did not take well to this enforced confinement. There was so much to do for the arrival of the baby--clothes, bottles, blankets, diapers, cribs, car seats all needed to be purchased; food needed to be made ahead and frozen; the nursery had to be set up--but here I was, sidelined. I remember my physician telling me the following: ‘The best thing you can do to prepare for this baby is to remain still.’

As Christmas approaches, there is much to do. Decorations to be put up, gifts to be purchased and wrapped, treats to be baked, religious services to attend, etc. Apart from all this external preparation, we also need to get spiritually ready for the arrival of baby Jesus into our hearts. Advent is the season of expectation. It is a time of stillness, of rest, of patience. We hush our souls amidst the chaos. We remind ourselves of God’s promises, trusting that they will be fulfilled in due time. We wait in anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment