streams

streams

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Truth Speakers

“You can trust a friend who corrects you, but kisses from an enemy are nothing but lies.” (Proverbs 27:6 CEV)

I am not comfortable changing my clothes in front of others. There are very few people that I would allow in a fitting room with me. It’s not that I am uncomfortable with my body; I’m just selective about who gets to see me in that vulnerable state.

Vulnerability allows us to be open with others. It takes courage to reveal your authentic self to someone else. Emotional exposure can be risky, though. There is always a chance that we can be hurt or demeaned by the other. Thus, it is wise to be selectively vulnerable with only those who have earned our trust and will speak truth.

We all need a few ‘truth speakers’ in our lives. These are the people who you know are trustworthy, consistently available, and love you unconditionally. You can share your innermost thoughts with them, and they feel comfortable being vulnerable with you. There is no falsity, flattery, or pretense in these relationships. You can take correction from these individuals, because you know they will put your best interest over their personal agenda. Selective vulnerability allows us to accept truth from those we trust while dismissing the lies of those who are dishonest.

No comments:

Post a Comment