streams

streams

Friday, December 21, 2018

Knowing Your Goal

“I don't run without a goal.” (1 Corinthians 9:26 CEV)

Until a few years ago, running was just a form of exercise to me.  A few days a week, I would run a few miles, do a few calisthenics, and check exercise off my to-do list.  Then, my husband decided he wanted to run an official race. Although I didn’t see any point in paying a fee to run with a crowd of people, I decided to sign up with him. Having a goal race changed the way we trained. We started being more intentional and disciplined. We ran even when we didn’t feel like it--in the cold, heat, snow, and rain. We chose paths that were hilly to increase our endurance. We made time to run on busy days and even on vacation. We measured our distance and our times. We did speedwork, intervals, and tempo runs. We ran with purpose in every step.

Most of us spend our energy aimlessly, pursuing the latest diversion and trend. We wander haphazardly, just going along with the crowd, uncertain about our destination. God created every individual with a purpose in mind. He uses each of us, in different ways, to display His glory. Our mission, if we choose to accept it, is to allow God to reveal Himself through us. Once we know and embrace our goal, everything changes. We become intentional, attentive, and disciplined. Everything is measured. We no longer have time or energy to waste. We live with purpose in every thought, every word, every step.

“My goal is God Himself, not joy, nor peace,
Nor even blessing, but Himself, my God;” (Frances Brook)


No comments:

Post a Comment