streams

streams

Thursday, December 20, 2018

Observing Patterns

“If this was my own idea of just another way to make a living, I'd expect some pay. But since it's not my idea but something solemnly entrusted to me, why would I expect to get paid? So am I getting anything out of it? Yes, as a matter of fact: the pleasure of proclaiming the Message at no cost to you. You don't even have to pay my expenses!” (1 Corinthians 9:17-18 MSG)


I had been thinking about writing and publishing print books for several years before I started writing this blog. Let’s face it, even self-published print books make an author feel more legitimate than writing things online. However, a close friend of mine said the following to me: “God has blessed you with a husband who is willing to support you financially. Even though it might feel good to make your own money, see if you can share your gift of writing for free.” What she said made an impact. For the last seven years, this blog has been published every weekday without monetization, ads, or sponsors.


God has been faithful. Every day that I sit down and listen, He provides me with insights. I share the gifts which have been entrusted to me. While it’s true that a lot of what I write is heavily contaminated by my own thoughts, some of God’s message comes through. Have I benefited from all of this? YES! First of all, the habit of writing regularly has given me the discipline to study scripture and wait for the Holy Spirit to help me understand it. If I were just making notes for myself, I would not have to think as deeply. Since my writing may be read by others, it forces me to connect dots and to process. I can’t give up after a cursory reading of God’s Word. I have to work out the hard parts until I have a clear understanding and relevant application to each verse. I am grateful for the gifts--of time, insights, writing, a supportive husband, a consistent editor, and wise friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment