streams

streams

Friday, December 7, 2018

Healthy Tribe

“Brothers and sisters, we urge you to warn those who are lazy. Encourage those who are timid. Take tender care of those who are weak.” (1 Thessalonians 5:14 NLT)

When I was younger, I used to hang around crowds that were not good for me. I got sucked up into an environment of ambition, competition, materialism, diversion, status-seeking, and self-indulgence. It took me a long time to realize the harm in this and get out.

These days, I enjoy being by myself, mostly. However, I realize that there can be some benefits to being part of a community. A healthy tribe can keep you accountable, motivate you to be your best, and support you during times of weakness. They can introduce new ideas and share their experiences. They can protect you against discouragement and delusion.

Some people thrive in community while others feel stifled by crowds. It takes a certain amount of maturity and self-awareness to figure out where you are on this spectrum. If you know yourself to be a herd follower, make sure your herd is not likely to jump off a cliff.  Surround yourself with wise, authentic, healthy people.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for these insightful reminders of authenticity in both others and ourselves this week. As the holiday season is in full steam ahead, all these messages are a reminder of who and what is truly important.

    ReplyDelete