streams

streams

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Blurring the Background

“When my heart whispered, "Seek God," my whole being replied, "I'm seeking him!" (Psalm 27:8 MSG)

I like taking digital photographs and editing them. One of my favorite tools is the background blur feature. I can decide what I want ‘in focus’ and blur everything else. However, it is difficult to blot out anything that is within a close radius of the principal subject. For example, if I am taking a picture of a couple, and there is someone in the background near their heads--it is hard to edit that out. Thus, I prefer quiet, uncrowded places for photography.

The same is true for contemplation and prayer. It helps to blur everything in the background, so our eyes are drawn to God alone. It can be hard to focus when we are surrounded by busyness and noise. Thus, removing ourselves to a quiet space is the first step. Clearing the clutter in our minds takes a bit more effort. We have to intentionally blur out each fear, concern, and distraction that pops up. This enables us to be more attentive to the Principal Subject. Eventually, we learn to listen only to the deep whispers of the Spirit within. Everything else fades as we seek God with our whole being.

No comments:

Post a Comment