streams

streams

Friday, January 4, 2019

Mentoring

“As a fellow elder, I appeal to you: Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. ” (1 Peter 5:1-2 NLT)
I have several older friends who have mentored me through life. They have cared, comforted, directed, and led me through the heights and valleys of my journey. They have shared their experience and wisdom freely, without condescension, without ambitions for personal gain. Their willingness to reveal their mistakes, to teach others--disregarding their own self-image--has enabled me to avoid certain pitfalls.
I have been trying to pay this forward. I am now that ‘older’ person who can be a mentor to those coming up behind me. When sharing my experiences with others, it is tempting to just tell them about the wonderful achievements, the good stuff that promotes admiration and approval. However, life-changing lessons are rarely in the mountain-top experiences, but in the pits of despair. Opening up about failures and mistakes requires humility, vulnerability, and transparency. Admitting weakness sets the stage for revealing God’s power, sustenance, and guidance. We can use our time with others to impress them with our greatness OR God’s glory--not both. We all have a built-in desire to know and be known. However, the Holy Spirit prompts us to a higher purpose--to know God and make Him known.
Lord, use me. Speak through me. Let me spontaneously pour myself into others without considering my self-image, without regard for personal gain. Help me to call back to those coming up behind me, to reveal your constant presence. Grant that I may use every encounter, every experience as a way to magnify You.

No comments:

Post a Comment