streams

streams

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

A God Who Is Present


“The Lord says, ‘I was ready to respond, but no one asked for help. I was ready to be found, but no one was looking for me.’” (Isaiah 65:1 NLT)

One of my good friends called me out on a bad habit that I have: I do not turn my phone off when I am interacting with someone. Instead, I tend to check my phone whenever there is a notification or a lull in the conversation. I disengage from the current interaction and divert my attention elsewhere. I justify this practice by claiming it might be an emergency, which is rarely the case.  I have no problem putting my phone on the ‘do not disturb’ setting while I sleep or when doing something that I deem important.  Thus, I know deep within me that this is a weakness I need to overcome.

My addiction to distractions extends into my spiritual life. The Lord is always present. He makes Himself available. He is ready to respond whenever I reach out to Him. Yet, my mind wanders. I allow my attention to be diverted. I crave the immediate gratification of superficial novelties over that which is deeply meaningful. This reveals my true values. In my insistence to do things my own way, I have deviated from the path.  I need to turn around and change course. 

Lord, thank you for always being available. You are always near, ready to respond, constantly reaching out. Forgive me for prioritizing distractions above You. Teach me to be present. Help me to put on the mind of Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment