streams

streams

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Odds and Ends


“Now go back and gather up the pieces left over so that nothing will be wasted.” (John 6:12 TPT)

Every few months, I will go through my house and get rid of stuff I don’t need. I set up two bags--one for donations and another for trash. I go from room to room, vigorously throwing things into bags: extra comforters, sheets, frisbees, clothes, decorative items, leftover yarn, craft supplies, old shower curtains, shoes, coats, pots, pans, water bottles, etc. If I spend too much time thinking about it, I won’t let go. Once I finish this cleaning purge, I feel better. However, there is an unfortunate side-effect to this process. There have been times that I needed an extra comforter or a frisbee or some leftover yarn. Just because I can’t think of a use for something at one moment does not mean it might not come in handy later.

I have had my share of experiences that seemed to have no particular significance at the time: strained relationships, broken promises, major mistakes, minor disappointments, stupid dead ends. I am eager to discard even the memories of these scraps of life. Yet, these odds and ends have value. I have learned to go back and gather up the leftover pieces, even when I don’t know what to do with them. The crumbs and crusts might come in handy someday.  Every experience, good or bad, important or silly, may be significant even though we cannot recognize it at the time. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment