streams

streams

Thursday, January 21, 2021

Incomplete Understanding


“We know only a portion of the truth, and what we say about God is always incomplete.” (1 Corinthians 13:8-10 MSG)

When watching foreign-language movies with English subtitles, my depth of understanding varies. My comprehension is directly proportional to my familiarity with the culture. For example, I may understand eighty percent of the plot in a Hindi movie, even though I do not speak the language. I have a passable understanding of the Indian culture since it is part of my ancestral heritage. However, I find it difficult to understand many of the jokes and nuanced expressions. Even though I cannot enjoy Hindi movies to the same extent as someone who is raised in that culture, I still watch them. There is an unexplainable curiosity within me to know more about my ethnic background. As I pursue my fascination, I am fully aware that my understanding will always be incomplete. 

Similarly, we are built with an innate desire to know ourselves and God intimately.  Self-awareness and spiritual understanding seem to be linked. Our curiosity about our identity and purpose often leads us to seek greater understanding. Yet, even a lifetime is not enough to plumb the mysteries of the soul or the depths of the Divine. Thus, we attempt to grasp at ephemeral truths. We share our partial concepts with each other. We try to shape our lives according to our beliefs. However, we must remember that we know only a portion of the truth, and what we say about God is always incomplete. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment