streams

streams

Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Identify Your Need


“Be direct. Ask for what you need.” (Matthew 7:7 MSG)

I have difficulty identifying and articulating my needs. I rarely ask for what I want--it feels selfish and needy. Instead, I like to pretend that I am completely self-sufficient. I want to be the helper, not the one in need of help. 

Other than the basic survival essentials that are common to all human beings, I am not sure what I need or want. I know some things bring me comfort while other things make me feel agitated. I wish for more of the former and less of the latter. Yet, I recognize that this is not the same as a need. Over the years, I have discovered some core necessities: meaning, purpose, truth, sincerity, authentic expression, respect, security, stability, reliability, and loyalty are a few of them.  

Identifying our personal needs is the first step. Articulating those needs requires us to be vulnerable. Asking anything for ourselves feels selfish and demanding. In order to mitigate our mortification, we drop indirect hints and hope others figure out what we want. We extend this practice into our communication with God. We pray for others but rarely for ourselves. Learning to be direct and asking for our needs is essential to having a true relationship. 

Lord, please help me clarify my needs. I ask for meaning, purpose, security, stability, and reliability. I seek sincerity, loyalty, and authentic expression in all my relationships. I shall insistently knock on Your door until you meet my needs. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment