streams

streams

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Release


“A right time to hold on and another to let go.” (Ecclesiastes 3:6 MSG)

Our dog has had some obedience training. He knows how to sit, stay, settle down, come when called, roll over, etc.  He has yet to master the ‘release’ command. This is when a dog gives up whatever is in his mouth when told to do so. Every day, I practice with my dog. I give him something he wants. He picks it up with his mouth. Then I say ‘release’--and if he drops it, I give him a treat. Animals are reluctant to let go of what they want--whether it is a dead frog on the road or a favorite shoe in the hallway. There are times when you need to get something away from a dog, because it may be harmful if ingested. Also, you don’t want your pet to chew up something that is valuable. Thus, the ‘release’ command can be useful. 

Humans can also benefit from learning when to hold on and when to let go.  Our instincts tell us to grasp tightly to our attachments. We are reluctant to relinquish our possessions, relationships, or viewpoints. There are times when God commands us to release things into His hands. He knows when it is harmful for us to hold on to something. Letting go requires faith and repeated practice. Every day, I hand over concerns, fears, irritations, questions, hopes, desires, and challenges to God. I wait for my treat of peace. 

Lord, I trust You. I know You have good intentions for me. You know things that I don’t. You are much more capable than I ever could be. Teach me when to hold on and when to let go. I release everything into Your hands. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment