streams

streams

Friday, January 8, 2021

Praying with Confidence


"We live in the bold confidence that God hears our voices when we ask for things that fit His plan." (1 John 5:14 VOICE) 

The above verse is a bit difficult for me to digest. If our prayers are not answered--is it because we did not ask with bold confidence? Or is it because they did not fit God’s plan? 

Several years ago, a good friend was diagnosed with cancer. She was much loved by everyone that knew her. We all prayed vigilantly for her healing. Although she received good medical care and spiritual ministry, she died within a few years. Currently, I have another friend who is terminally ill. His faith is an example to many. There is a dedicated group of people praying for him. My prayers for him are neither bold nor confident. They are submissive. I bring my concerns to the Lord. I lay them down. I pray: Thy will be done

Prayer is not meant to influence God to change His plan, but to align our minds to His will. Dearly-held beliefs may be dislocated; precious plans may be knocked down.  This process of melting and molding can be painfully wrenching. The powerlessness of surrender is hard to accept. 

Sometimes when I can’t comprehend a concept, I rearrange it in my head to see if I can gain some perspective. Like jigsaw puzzle pieces, I rotate and move them around until I suddenly see how things fit into the larger picture. Repositioning and paraphrasing the words in 1 John 5:14 helped me understand this verse better: It takes bold confidence to submit our concerns completely into God’s care. This is not self-confidence, but trust that stems from an intimate connection with God.  When we commit to God’s will, we start asking for things that fit His plan. And then, since we are aligned with God’s purpose, we can live with assurance that God hears our voice.


No comments:

Post a Comment