streams

streams

Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Noticing the Needs of Others


“For when you saw me hungry, you fed me. When you found me thirsty, you gave me something to drink.” (Matthew 25:35 TPT)

How does one know whether someone else is hungry or thirsty? I can’t even tell the difference between hunger and thirst in my own body. I often eat when I am dehydrated and drink when I am undernourished. 

It’s hard enough for us to identify our own needs and articulate them. It’s even more of a challenge to notice the needs of those around us. How often is a person willing to admit that he is hungry, thirsty, lonely, or helpless? Neediness is seen as weakness that must be overcome--preferably independently and privately so as not to make others uncomfortable. We learn to suffer alone and allow others to do so as well. 

It’s difficult to rescue a drowning victim when she is pretending to be fine. It is also important to be looking in the right direction consistently for a lifeguard to notice a person who is drowning. It takes courage to express vulnerability. When we share our emotions, others are more open to do the same. Most people are unable to clearly state exactly what they need. This makes it harder to know how to support them. Self-awareness and honest communication are vital. Attentiveness and solidarity are also essential. 


No comments:

Post a Comment