streams

streams

Friday, January 15, 2021

Get Up


“Then Jesus said to him, ‘Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.’" (John 5:8 NIV)

When I am uncertain, hopeless, sad, or anxious, I tend to feel paralyzed. I cannot muster the motivation to do much of anything. My mind and my body feel stuck. I don’t know what to do next. I don’t know what the future holds. I just want to give up. 

Then, I remind myself of the simple command that Jesus gave to the paralytic: “Get Up!” 

Get up out of your chair.

Get up out of despair. 

Get up out of your funk. 

Get Up! 

Stir, stretch, clear off the cobwebs. The first step will be uncomfortable. However, it is the only way to get out of the ditch of self-pity. Powerlessness can feel paralyzing. You may not have control over much, but you can get up. You can pick up your mat of helplessness. You can take one step...and then the next. Overcoming inertia allows you to get started. In time, you will develop motivation and momentum. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment