streams

streams

Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Advent Practices


“Prepare for God’s arrival! Make the road straight and smooth, a highway fit for our God.” (Isaiah 40:3 MSG)

Advent and Christmas have been hijacked by consumerism. Many of the traditions of this season divert our attention from Christ. How can we prepare our hearts for God’s arrival? How can we clear the path of clutter and focus our mind on Christ within us? Below are a few practices that I find helpful:

--Study Scripture. Here is a link to an Advent lectionary: https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/lections.php?year=C&season=Advent

--Instead of an Advent calendar of treats, declutter your life by donating an item per day to a local charity. 

--Listen to Advent music.

--Consciously do acts of kindness and service.

--Decorate your home in ways that help you focus on Christ.

--Pray throughout the day. Create rituals around prayer. When you turn on lights, when you light candles, when you wake up, when you sit down, when you go to bed, when you eat, at sunrise, at sunset--connect with Christ. 

Christ be with me, in me, and around me. Clear my heart. Help me focus. Don’t let my mind wander or get sidetracked. Teach me to wait expectantly. Come Lord Jesus. Send us Your Spirit. Renew the face of the earth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment