streams

streams

Monday, December 13, 2021

Resistance Is Tiring


That day, after the Israelites had struck down the Philistines from Mikmash to Aijalon, they were exhausted.” (1 Samuel 14:31 NIV)

Running against the wind takes a lot of effort. On cold, windy days I tend to dress in multiple layers from head to foot. Even then, the wind whips at my body, and progress is slow. The extra clothing makes movement harder. By the time I am done, I feel exhausted. On my running log, I record the wind speed and my perceived effort level. I have learned to acknowledge the reasons for my fatigue. 

The Israelites were exhausted after fighting the Philistines. I doubt they questioned why they were weary. Battles are hard. 

Any form of resistance is tiring. This is to be expected. Whether it is running against the wind, changing long-held habits, facing pushback from those who disagree with you, working at a difficult job, worrying about your loved ones, dealing with hostility, facing financial problems, arguing with your spouse, or battling health issues--struggle is draining. 

Whatever you are facing, acknowledge the reasons for your fatigue. Expect resistance to be tiring. Try not to beat yourself up about feeling weary. Give yourself grace to rest and recover.


No comments:

Post a Comment