streams

streams

Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Everyday Blessings


“And so I heartily recommend that you pursue joy, for the best a person can do under the sun is to enjoy life.” (Ecclesiastes 8:15 VOICE)

I like to take pictures of everyday joys: food that I make, trees in my yard, my dog, my neighborhood pond, the pasture at the end of the road, the sunrise, the snow. These pictures are a way to record my happiness. I also write down all the wonderful comforts that I experience daily: the steam rising from a mug of coffee, my warm robe, the light coming through the east windows, the ability to run, my husband coming home after work, my son playing with the dog, the taste of frozen grapes, quiet moments, books. If even one of my comforts were taken away--if one of my appliances stopped working, or I lost my phone, or I had an injury--I would be miserable. In contrast, the presence of these pleasures only bring joy if I am attentive and appreciative. Unless observed, even a shooting star cannot induce wonder!

“Happiness consists more in small conveniences or pleasures that occur every day than in great pieces of good fortune that happen seldom.” (Benjamin Franklin) 

Novel experiences can be exciting and fun: a vacation, a new car, a concert, a party, a reunion, a new achievement. Yet the cumulative impact of daily joys improves the quality of our lives more than we realize. Some of us wait for great pieces of good fortune to bring happiness. We overlook all the goodness that is present each day. Contentment comes from appreciating daily conveniences and pleasures. When we choose to notice  and rejoice over everyday blessings, life becomes gratifying.  


No comments:

Post a Comment