streams

streams

Thursday, December 30, 2021

Tunneling Candles


 “I continue to pray for your love to grow and increase beyond measure, bringing you into the rich revelation of spiritual insight in all things.” (Philippians 1:9 TPT)

 

During Advent season, I light candles at sunrise and sunset. When I first started this ritual, I would only keep the candles lit for a short time. I didn’t want to leave an open flame unattended, so I would blow out the candles before I left the room. I noticed that the wax in each candle was burning in a weird pattern. There would be a tunnel near the wick, but the wax near the edges remained unused. The candles kept burning out quickly, even though there was plenty of wax left. After throwing out several damaged candles, I finally did some online research. I discovered that ‘candle tunneling’ was caused by short burning times. A candle that burns to the edges each time it is lit will not have this tunnel. In order to maximize the usefulness of a candle, it is best to keep it lit for longer periods of time. 

 

The tunnels in the candles led me to another observation. While short bursts of prayer in the midst of daily activities can be easier to schedule, longer periods of worship are more beneficial. It is good to ask God for help and guidance when we feel anxious or face trouble. However, if this is the only time we turn to God, we miss out on the fullness of Grace. A problem-centric approach to prayer can lead to tunnel vision. Our viewpoints become constricted to our current afflictions. Unless we remain in the light long enough to melt to the edges of our egocentrism, we miss out on experiencing God’s presence. Here, in the liminal borders of our perception, is the sacred space of understanding. Deep worship melts our mindset and floods the soul. Remaining in the light allows us to grow and increase beyond measure, bringing us into the rich revelations of spiritual insight in all things. 


No comments:

Post a Comment