streams

streams

Thursday, December 23, 2021

Crowded Mantles


“But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.” (Luke 5:16 NLT)

The mantle above my fireplace is crowded with lots of things that are significant to me. It is a central spot to store and display mementos. There are times when this shelf is so full that adding one more item would push something else off the edge. Thus, I have learned to reevaluate what is worthy of being on the mantle. I intentionally remove certain mementos when adding new ones. Perhaps a seasonal item can be taken off for a while and placed in a different location. If I don’t choose, the choice will be made for me. Something fragile and significant could fall off. The mantle space is limited, so I might as well pick what I want to add and remove.

The mantle is a good metaphor for the priorities in my life. There are times when my shelf is so full that adding one more task would push something off the edge. Thus, I have learned to withdraw regularly before adding new commitments. I take time away from busyness to pray. In quiet solitude, I reevaluate what is most important in the current season of life. I intentionally take things off my agenda. This is not easy, because I feel the desire to keep previous priorities central in my life. I don’t want to give up on anything that was once important to me. However, if I don’t choose, the choice will be made for me. My time, energy, and bandwidth are limited. Something essential could fall off the edge, so I might as well pick what to add and remove. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment