streams

streams

Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Fruit Flavor

“But the fruit produced by the Holy Spirit within you is divine love in all its varied expressions: joy that overflows, peace that subdues, patience that endures, kindness in action, a life full of virtue, faith that prevails, gentleness of heart, and strength of spirit.” (Galatians 5:22-23 TPT)

Fruit-flavored gummies used to be my favorite snack during long runs. They come in convenient packages that are easy to carry. These colorful candies have the shape and taste of fruits, but they are made mostly from artificial ingredients. 

About a year ago, I read that some runners use dried fruits on long runs. I decided to give this a try. Before leaving the house, I packed a small ziploc bag with raisins and dates. This was a bit more work than grabbing a pre-packaged bag of gummies, so I congratulated myself on my dedication and sacrifice. About halfway through my run, I popped one of the dry fruits into my mouth. I missed the syrupy sweetness of the gummies. I was accustomed to the simple sugars that melted in my mouth. Instead, I had real fruits that required chewing! 

Christians are called to cultivate the fruits of the Holy Spirit. Instead, most of us prefer fruit-flavored characteristics. These traits may seem Christlike at a superficial glance, but they are not. Real spiritual fruits do not come in convenient packages. They require chewing. They are not syrupy sweet. Yet, there is nothing more nourishing than divine love in all its varied expressions: joy that overflows, peace that subdues, patience that endures, kindness in action, a life full of virtue, faith that prevails, gentleness of heart and strength of spirit. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment