streams

streams

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Water Habit


“I’m energized every time I enter your heavenly sanctuary to seek more of your power and drink in more of your glory.” (Psalm 63:2 TPT)

Until recently, I rarely drank water. When I was thirsty, I preferred other beverages like juice, soda, tea, or coffee. I only had water if nothing else was available. It’s not that I wasn’t aware of the benefits of water; I was. It wasn’t that I didn’t try; I did.  I would force myself to drink some when I remembered--unless I was busy, or had to go out of the house, or got side-tracked--which was most days. Over the past two years, I have been spending more time at home due to the pandemic. This has given me an opportunity to completely remodel several life-long tendencies. I started by drinking small amounts of water throughout the day. I discovered that hot water with some herbs and spices felt soothing.  I kept track of the amounts until I hit my goal. I identified common barriers and disruptors and made adjustments. It took me months of persistence to finally develop my water habit. Even now, I cannot claim to crave water, but I do enjoy the feeling of well-being that comes with this habit.

Another habit I have been developing is meditation. It’s a work in progress. Meditation teachers refer to restless brains as monkey minds. Mine is more like a barrel of monkeys at a three-ring circus in the middle of a carnival. There are many barriers and distractions. 

I’ve been collaborating with God on developing a meditation practice. I seek out pockets of time throughout the day to listen. When I lie awake at night, I breathe His name. Upon waking, I contemplate Scriptures. I write out my thoughts. I sing silently while I do household tasks. I pray as I run.  These are not traditional forms of meditation, but this is what works for me right now. I am still a novice. Distractions pull at me frequently. Yet, I shall persist. I’m energized every time I enter God’s presence. I seek more of His power. I enjoy drinking in His glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment