streams

streams

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Best Places to Retire

Although we are far from retirement age, my husband and I like to dream about where we would like to live when that time comes. We read articles that talk about the latest retirement hot-spots and discuss the pros and cons of each. Most of these articles mention towns that have similar characteristics: a nice climate, learning opportunities, recreational activities, access to health care, low cost of living, low crime rate, etc.

Ideas about retirement have changed. It used to be that people were expected to take it easy when they retired: maybe play some golf, clip some coupons, spend some time with the grandkids, and play scrabble at the senior center. Now it seems that you are expected to be hiking, biking, kayaking, and zip-lining when you retire! Sounds exhausting, if you ask me!

My idea of retirement is finally being free of the need to perform to the world’s expectations. To find rest, peace, and contentment. I would rather have loved ones around me than sandy beaches…the warmth of good friends nearby, than tropical weather. Now, if I could have it all--family and friends, all living on the Big Island of Hawaii--I’d be cool with that too.

I’ve come to the conclusion that what I want is to be surrounded by love, stability, and security. What I want is Paradise. I was reminded of this when I read the following verse:

“Those who live in the shelter of the Most High,
Will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
This I declare about the Lord:
He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;
He is my God, and I trust Him.” (Ps. 91:1-2 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment