streams

streams

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Yo-Yo Trusting

We’re all familiar with yo-yo dieting, where one diets and exercises for a few weeks, and then reverts back to old habits and gains all the weight back. Yo-yo dieting is harmful to our metabolism.

I have a habit of yo-yo trusting. For a while, I live trusting God, surrendered to His will. Then I fall back into my control-freak mode and feel like I’ve got to handle everything myself. This up-and-down trust/fear cycle is detrimental to my soul.

I avoid fad diets because they are unsustainable in the long run. As long as I am +/- 5lbs from my ideal weight, I eat what I want. But, once I get beyond those boundaries, I stop everything, and pay attention. I try to get back to my safety zone as soon as possible.

I wish there were a similar way to know when I am outside the boundaries of trust. I wish there where a scale that I could get on and measure daily trust levels.

When we go swimming in open waters, there are usually floating buoys that show designated swimming areas. If we accidentally swim past this area, the lifeguard will blow the whistle to alert us, and we get back as quickly as possible. In the same way, there are some signs that mark the edge of the trust zone. When we notice that we have been feeling anxious, worried, fearful, or panicky for more than a few days, we know we’ve wandered farther than we should. We have willfully left the designated trust zone, where our Lifeguard watches over our safety. It’s time to pay attention, turn around, and swim back.

No comments:

Post a Comment