streams

streams

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Unclog My Heart

Toni Braxton’s “Unbreak My Heart” was one of my favorite songs in the late 1990’s. I’d like to write my version of that song and call it “Unclog my Heart”. Yeah…I know it doesn’t quite have the same ring to it. It probably conjures up images of a clogged up toilet…but hear me out.

Sometimes my heart feels like it’s about to explode, not physically, but emotionally. We are all aware of the physical causes of clogged arteries. Yet, many of us ignore the spiritual and emotional plaque build-up in our hearts.

Over the years, pain, fear, resentment, anxiety, rejection, guilt, and disappointments have caused a stiffening of my soul, a rigidity that leads to inflexibility. I can see myself turning into a cantankerous, twisted, old woman.

Just as eating right and exercising can prevent atherosclerosis, proper spiritual practices can minimize soul-sclerosis. I have found a few things that help unclog my heart: I am careful about my mental environment. I try to remove myself from situations that are toxic. I’ve quit the habit of self-inflicted torment. Instead, I do my spiritual exercises. I go to a quiet place. I breathe. I pray that the hard plaque of my soul will be softened. I thank God for His blessings, His protection. I surrender my past and all my burdens. I read the Bible. I write. I invite the Holy Spirit to unclog my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment