streams

streams

Friday, August 3, 2012

Notes to Myself

Every morning, I sit down with a cup of coffee and have quiet time. I read the Bible, then a devotional, maybe a Christian philosophy book; I pray, and I think. Ideas, words, and worries keep popping into my head. Mostly it’s just one or two words. Never a complete sentence. Most of the time they seem like random distractions. I’ve made a practice of jotting these down and resuming my quiet time.

I’m never sure if these words, ideas, etc. are from my own subconscious or from God. Yet, by writing them down, I release myself from focusing on them right then. After my quiet time, I tend to research and think about these ideas. I’ve learned to pay attention to recurring thoughts, even if they seem silly.

I’ve always thought of this note-taking as something I did to curtail wandering thoughts, similar to tying my hair back in a ponytail so that it doesn’t get in the way. Now, I’m starting to see that these notes have value.

Recently, I’ve used these notes to make some important decisions. I can sense that God can use my wandering thoughts to direct me. I pray over these notes. I ask God to take away anything irrelevant and to help me pursue only that which is from Him.

I need to start writing these little notes in something more permanent than little sticky notes and scrap papers. These notes have also helped me to recognize God’s hand in my life. They provide a visual representation of God’s involvement and His care over even the minor details of my life.

1 comment: