streams

streams

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My Son's Birthday

Today is my son's 17th birthday. I am thankful for his life. I remember how nervous I was when I brought him home for the first time. I was afraid I might somehow break him. I used to marvel at how parents managed to keep their kids alive till they were grown. Everywhere I looked, I saw danger.

As my son has grown, I have matured as well. My role has changed from caregiver to prayer-giver. I have very little control over his daily choices. I now know that I can't keep him safe from danger, or evil. Daily, I surrender my son to God. I am just the foster parent that gets to enjoy him for a while. He belongs to God, the Father of all.

“My sheep recognize my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them real and eternal life. They are protected from the Destroyer for good. No one can steal them from out of my hand. The Father who put them under my care is so much greater than the Destroyer and Thief. No one could ever get them away from him. I and the Father are one heart and mind." (John 10:25-30 MSG)

I pray that the Holy Spirit will be with my son. May he recognize God. May he make good choices and stay under the protective power of God.
May he overcome evil, by doing good. (Rom. 12:21)

1 comment: