streams

streams

Friday, August 10, 2012

Hijacking Jesus

Yesterday, I used the analogy of chauffeuring to describe how we should take care of our bodies, which are vehicles of God. This morning the following thought came to me: When I’m chauffeuring God around, which of us decides the destination and the route? Do I drive carefully or recklessly?

I’ll be honest. Most of the time I decide where I am going and how I get there. I don’t even think about the fact that I’m supposed to be driving Jesus to where He wants to go. It’s a rough ride, and I’m sure He is uncomfortable. It’s more like I’m hijacking Jesus than chauffeuring Him. Like a hijacker, I have agendas. I force issues. I assert my will. I’m mortified by what I’ve turned into!
I’m sorry, Lord.

The following lyrics from an old Christian hymn float into my mind:
Make me a channel of your peace
Where there's despair in life, let me bring hope
Where there is darkness, only light
And where there's sadness, ever joy.
Oh, Master grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console
To be understood as to understand
To be loved as to love with all my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment