streams

streams

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Summer Book Report

My favorite book that I read this summer is Hearing God by Dallas Willard. As with most of Willard’s books, it is best studied rather than read. I chewed and savored it slowly, making it last as long as I could. I got my copy from the local library. I will be buying a copy to keep for myself.

This book was previously published under the title: Search for Guidance. Willard draws inspiration from other Christian theologians and develops and expounds on their ideas. He brings these ideas to current readers in a relevant, thought-provoking form. Willard reminds me of a jeweler who shows us diamonds. He picks up a spiritual concept, holds it up to the light, and shows us the depth, clarity, and brilliance of each gem, until we too can appreciate the beauty as he does.

Why would we assume that if we talk to God, He wouldn’t talk back to us? As if God were like some stuck-up, popular kid in high school who ignores those who are not worthy of His attention! Of course God communicates with us. Sometimes we tune Him out. Sometimes we turn up the volume on everything else so we can drown Him out. Once we get used to living this way, we just can’t recognize God’s whisper amid the chaos.

There were so many great concepts in this book that I can’t give you just a synopsis. Here are some things I will take away from this book: There is nothing better than an intimate, conversational relationship with God. Hearing God involves communicating with God. God rarely gets in your face like an electronic billboard. Neither does He play ‘theological charades’ as Willard calls it. We recognize God’s voice through familiarity and intimacy, because we are attuned to Him and expect to hear from Him.

1 comment:

  1. I've never read Dallas Willard -- sounds like I should, though.

    Thanks for the report!

    ReplyDelete