streams

streams

Friday, August 24, 2012

Rescue

“The Lord says, ‘I will rescue those who love me.
I will protect those who trust in my name.
When they call on me, I will answer;
I will be with them in trouble.
I will rescue and honor them.”
(Ps. 91:14-15 NLT)

As I read these verses, I wondered: Why is the rescue conditional? Why does it say that we can only be rescued, if we love and trust the Lord?

I imagine a drowning victim thrashing about in the water…I visualize someone jumping in to rescue her. This panic-stricken victim is much more likely to stay calm if she loves and trusts the rescuer.

Why does the Lord say, I will be with them in trouble?

Why won’t He just get me out of the trouble immediately?

Maybe, He is waiting for me to calm down. Maybe, He needs to get a secure grip on me. Maybe, He is waiting for the right current or tide. Meanwhile, He stays with me in the trouble, until the conditions are favorable for rescue.

No comments:

Post a Comment