streams

streams

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Empty Tank

As we were riding around with our son yesterday, we gave him some instructions on keeping the gas tank filled in his car. We told him, in general, not to let the gas tank go below ¼, just so he doesn’t run out of gas and get stranded somewhere. We also told him not to let it go below ½ tank in the winter so the fuel lines don’t freeze due to condensation.

This got me thinking of how often I function with my spiritual tank on empty. In general, I try to fill up daily. But when I get busy, I fail to notice my dwindling reserves.

When I’m facing difficult, wintry, stressful conditions, I tend to be emotionally exhausted. I push myself further and further, until I’m running on fumes. I have to remind myself that it’s even more important to keep my relationship with God on FULL during these harsh seasons.

“I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Rom. 15:13 NLT)

1 comment:

  1. I tend to do irrational things when I'm running on empty (even when I think I'm on a full tank too though at times!). Probably the trick is to keep the fuel tank open for constant God fuel.

    ReplyDelete