streams

streams

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Comparisons

I jog/walk around my neighborhood. Occasionally I see other neighbors walking their dogs. I’ve been noticing that many people seem to walk faster than I jog. This pushes me to increase my speed.

One of my friends pointed out that I compare myself to others often. I’m not competitive, but I set my standards by what I see around me or by statistical averages. Here are some examples: one of my secret indulgences is looking up annual statistical reports on
www.bls.gov. (I guess it’s not a secret anymore!) I also make a game out of comparing prices at Costco vs. Walmart. I actually type up lists of what is a good deal at which store. It bothers me that I’ve shrunk a half-inch, and now I’m shorter than the national average.

Most of this seems harmless. Yet this habit of setting my standards based on statistical averages or comparison to others will eventually lead to bitterness or discontentment. I’ve always thought of myself as someone who sets her own pace or marches to her own rhythm. However, now I see that my internal rhythm is synchronized to the external rhythms around me.

Lord, help me to be in sync with Your rhythm and pace. Help me to tune out everything that is not of You.

1 comment:

  1. Cody does this all the time too -- he looks up stats and compares himself to them.
    My right brain couldn't make sense of the #s even if I tried. See, you're so much smarter than me!

    ReplyDelete