streams

streams

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Swaddling

 
I recently saw a segment on TV about swaddling babies. Swaddling mimics a constricted environment, similar to the womb. It provides warmth and security and thus helps the baby stay calm. I remember wrapping my newborn like a burrito, all snug and tight. Some people just wrap a baby in a blanket loosely, with its arms hanging out. A properly swaddled baby can’t flail his arms around because everything is wrapped tightly in the blanket.

When I face a crisis, I automatically have the urge to flail around…not just my arms, but everything! The following cartoon describes me perfectly.




With anxiety comes the urge to fidget, to do something, to thrash around even when it’s unproductive. Not only does this just whip me into a frenzy, it’s also exhausting.

I crave to be swaddled in God’s comforting grace, held in His arms, tight against His chest…To be still, calm, at peace, knowing all shall be well…‘cuz-- He’s got this!

No comments:

Post a Comment