streams

streams

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Morning Coffee

 
The first thing I think about as I get out of bed each morning is…COFFEE. I go through the motions of making my bed, brushing my teeth, noticing things that were left undone the day before…but my mind is locked-on to that first cup of coffee!

The other day, I laughed out loud when I read the following quote:

“Few people arise in the morning as hungry for God as they are for cornflakes or toast and eggs.” (
Dallas Willard, Hearing God: Developing a Conversational Relationship with God)

Ain’t that the truth!

Like a lot of people, I’m not really particular about breakfast. I have to remind myself to eat something in the morning. I’m just not very hungry and there seems to be a lot of other things to do. Yet, I never forget my coffee. On special days, (also known as every other day), I even treat myself to an extra cup.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if I craved God as I do coffee? I would probably still make my bed, brush my teeth, and notice the things I need to get done each day, but my mind would be locked on to God. Nothing would take precedence over that need.

If I need to talk to my husband or a friend early in the morning, I’ve learned to ask them, “Have you had your coffee yet?” I’m considerate enough to know, that like me, their brain cells won’t work properly without that morning jolt of caffeine. I rarely ask, “Have you had your time with God yet?” By now, I should be aware that everyone functions better with the clarity that God’s Spirit provides.

Everything we have to do can wait until we have had our fill of God.

“As the deer longs for streams of water,
so I long for you, O God.
I thirst for God, the living God.
When can I go and stand before him?” (Ps. 42:1-2 NLT)

1 comment: