streams

streams

Monday, September 17, 2012

Motivation


What motivates people? External rewards like trophies, bonuses, and new toys tend to lose their glow eventually. Motivational speakers pump up their audiences with pep-talks, but after the conference is over, most people go back to their default settings.

I regularly make resolutions to live better. What motivates me to follow through on some of these and not others? Small successes are always en-couraging. If I start running and I’m able reach a goal that I’ve set for myself, it gives me a certain feeling of accomplishment. If my husband compliments me on how I look because of all the running, that further motivates me. If I hear of someone else my age who is training for a marathon, that inspires me. However, if my knees hurt, or the weather turns unfavorable, that dis-courages me (all my courage leaks out). So I've learned to set small, reachable goals with time parameters. Most of what motivates me are intrinsic factors--a sense of accomplishment and personal satisfaction. External recognition and peer pressure goad me to a lesser extent.

The first lawn mower we bought was a push mower. Someone had to stand behind it and use a lot of force to make it go forward. Then we got a self-propelled mower which was a lot easier to operate. We just had to walk behind it and mostly guide it. I used to wonder when my son would be more self-propelled like that mower. I notice that if he cares enough about something, he is willing to put aside everything else, until he accomplishes his goal.

I think that this is one of the keys to motivation--to really care about something enough to make it a priority--to be willing to give up everything else that is below that thing on your priority list. So when I’m not motivated to continue running toward my goal, it’s really because I don’t care enough about this goal to put up with the discomfort that comes along with it. I don’t care enough about it to give up my time for it.

Now, if only I could figure out how to make myself and others CARE enough…

No comments:

Post a Comment