streams

streams

Monday, September 10, 2012

Doubt

I heard an intriguing phrase, while listening to a podcast by Greg Boyd: God of the Gap Theology. He mentioned that many religions have a habit of forming their ideas about God based on the gaps we have in our knowledge. We point to what we can’t understand as proof of God’s existence. The problem with this form of theology is that as soon as science comes up with an explanation, God seems irrelevant.

In our attempt to explain God, we diminish His glory. I really don’t think we have the vocabulary or intelligence to prove God’s existence. Everything I write about faith is just my meager understanding of a God that is intricate beyond my intellectual capacity.

I think it’s important to admit that we can never comprehend, never be certain of everything there is to know about God.

George Carey, Archbishop of Canterbury, said: “Do I doubt? Of course. Every thinking person doubts. The opposite of faith is not doubt, but certainty.”
 
Frank Logue explains this quote further: “Doubts and uncertainties may be God’s spirit leading us beyond the lesser truths where we have stopped along the way to a fuller understanding of who God is and how God acts in our lives.”

I am grateful to all these great thinkers who have explored the nooks and crannies of the unexplainable God.


No comments:

Post a Comment