streams

streams

Friday, September 7, 2012

Spanx-Out

I think I invented a new word. I just submitted it to Urban Dictionary.

 Spanx-out (verb) when one loses consciousness due to prolonged restrictions or constrictions. (Derived from the light-headedness one feels when wearing Spanx)
Synonyms--pass out, faint, collapse, drop.

Examples:
-Girl, I’m about to spanx-out from this diet!
-I’ve been so busy lately. I’m going to spanx-out if I don’t have some fun soon.

For those of you who have never heard of Spanx, it is an undergarment that holds in any extra lumps of fat so as to give the wearer smooth curves. I’ve worn mine twice. Both times, I felt so uncomfortable that I thought I would surely faint. Basically they are modern-day corsets.

Why would we, as women, voluntarily inflict this torture on ourselves? Because we see other women who do it, and we crank up our expectations to unreasonable levels.

Recently, I’ve read several articles about moms who are addicted to Aderall--a stimulant prescribed for ADHD. Most of them claim they need it to accomplish all they have to do in a day. Some of them eventually turned into meth addicts.

I’m not saying that Spanx wearers will eventually turn into meth addicts! I’m merely suggesting that when we place undue pressure on ourselves, we are likely to faint. There has to be a sweet spot between debauchery and self-torture, between overindulgence and constriction.

I admire women who are comfortably authentic. They express who they are in their choices, rather than bow to some restrictive standard that reflects current social trends. These women have a healthy self-image, a fair amount of self-discipline, and a pleasant self-acceptance. They inspire me to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment