streams

streams

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Solo Projects

My husband and son are in a rock band. They have been on hiatus recently. As my son explained, “We are each focusing on our own solo projects.” This made me smile.

Many famous bands take time off to make solo albums. If they succeed, their solo careers take off. If not, they usually reunite with the band. Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, and Gwen Stephanie are all examples of musicians who did better on their solo projects.

I’m ambivalent about doing things by myself. On the one hand, any project is more fun when you collaborate with others, share your achievements, and encourage each other. On the other hand, everyone has a different pace, level of interest, and scheduling issues. Sometimes groups can goad each other to do better. Other times, groups can hold back an individual from discovering his/her true potential.

Take, for instance, our relationship with God. Although we claim to want a personal relationship with God, most of us prefer to spend time with HIM in church or Bible Study groups. For some of us, faith flourishes around like-minded people. Sometimes, church feels more like a “group date” to me. My husband and I go out with a group of other couples occasionally. We go to movies or dinner at each others’ houses. It’s a lot of fun and we do feel energized afterwards. Yet, it is not intimate.

Although I find inspiration from others, I routinely feel the urge to get away. Sometimes I just want to focus on my solo project. I want to retreat from everybody else and just lock myself in a room…just Jesus and me…

No comments:

Post a Comment