streams

streams

Monday, September 3, 2012

Is Ignorance the Only Path to Bliss?

Recently, I made a list of healthy meals at my favorite restaurants. I noticed that most of my regular choices, mostly salads, were deceptively unhealthy. Now that I am aware, I no longer enjoy eating out. I feel a bit like Eve, after she ate the forbidden apple and became conscious of the difference between good and evil. She could no longer enjoy Paradise. So does this mean, ignorance is the only path to bliss? If so, then does enlightenment always lead to misery?

Innocence is admirable, especially in the young. Yet being oblivious is inexcusable once you are grown-up. Most adults are somewhere in between awareness and ignorance, in a phase called denial. Except for me, of course, I deny that I’m in denial.

We live mostly in a transitional phase of semi-consciousness. We are vaguely aware of the transcendental God, as well as the transitory nature of our earthly concerns.

When you look at maps online, you have the option of zooming in or out. Similarly, the more we zoom in on God, the rest disappears from the screen. As we maximize God, everything else is minimized.

As we mature spiritually, we pass through phases of innocence, confusion, denial, awareness, more denial…until eventually everything else is diminished and God is magnified. This is true bliss.

1 comment: